Saturday, February 7, 2009

Not now !!!

People always said accident happen when you least expect it. Of course I did not expect it to happen too. Yesterday I crashed while cycling at putrajaya. It was a flat road with slight decline. It happen so fast . What I remember was my right hand got slip from the aerobar and my next instinct is to brake. I jam the brake and felt with chin facing down the road and my clipless pedal shoes still attached to the bike. I was screaming in pain with blood all over the floor. Yip was behind me witnessing my crash, he stop and help me . Luckily he was quite calm although I’m not really sure whether I scared the shit out of him or not.
My first question is, how’s my face? but yip first question is , can you move or not ? Yes I can move after getting muscle pull from both of my calf when I crash. I was shivering when I move to the side of the road.
Soon after that other training buddies stop , they give support , help me call the ambulance and Dr Raymond Hee checked whether I can still breath without pain and wipe my face to ensure other part of my face is okay.  
The ambulance arrived and I walk into the ambulance accompany by Raymond hee. I’m glad that I do not have any broken bones but of course I was unhappy with cuts on my chin and worry about scaring. Maybe I’ve been worrying about scaring since the day I have a cut on my right cheek when I was 9 years old and dealing with acne problem since teenager. Or maybe I already know this world is quite superficial.
After that I left putrajaya alone and went to see a plastic surgeon for second opinion. I text my mom , she was shock and came to pantai bangsar hospital together with my dad. The plastic surgeon said it was nicely stitch.
As I was driving home, I cry , the thoughts of DNF, DNS in ironman ,won’t be able to swim for at least 3 weeks , will I have phobia cycling, will I have scar on my chin and why now? Ironman is just few weeks away!! arhhh….
Time to be a bit more positive :
1)      No cars behind me while I crash
2)      Yip was behind me when I crash . Thank goodness for that as I usually cycle alone as I cannot keep up with other cyclist speed.
3)      No broken bones
4)      No sprain ankles or wrist
Lesson learned
1)      always wear gloves
2)      Tape your aerobar.

More info at :

23 comments:

  1. Hey Mich, sorry to hear about that. Hope you recover real soon. On the bright side, it didn't hurt any of your limbs, so minimal disruption to your training. As for not able to swim, you have accumulated enough mileage in your swimming already, so have confidence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sorry to hear about this. dun worry so much as it is already come to tapering zone. DO NOT EVER think about DNS/DNF, but just think about YOU WILL AND YOU CAN DO IT and YOUR SCAR WILL HEAL ON TIME. this is Law of Attraction! Cheers, ameba.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well.. do take care and be more careful next time

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry to hear bout the bad mishap. Hope you do recover soon. If your thought is saturated with the fear of failure and negative thoughts, it will kill your efforts, neutralize your endeavors and think POSITIVE! You can do it Mich!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear that. Take care and take more vitamins C + lotion with vitamin E for faster recovery. Phobia cycling will gone within a week or two. Don't worry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take care and rest well :) Don't worry too much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michelle, I heard about your crash, very sorry to hear about it. A few words of painfully accumulated wisdom for you - There are two kinds of cyclists, those that HAVE crashed and those that ARE GOING to crash. It happens to everyone at some point. On a positive note, no broken bones, I'm sure you won't get a scar although it'll take a while to heal - don't worry about that. I'll share with you some of my MANY crashes one of these days - memory quickly fades and when you balance the very occasional crash with the pleasure, health and friendships you get from tri/cycling you'll realise that it's a small price to pay. Take it easy, relax and enjoy the taper - Ironman is waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. really sorry to hear about the accident. rest hard and you may recover sooner than expected. always listen to your heart because it desires you to finish that race from the very first moment forking out money for entry fees. never X3 think of quitting - reject the DNS / DNF thoughts (hence, don't listen to your mind). as long as your heart is continuously pumping, life goes on. it's time to say, BRING IT ON. Victor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. picture tell a thousand words - the scar looks serious but if the heart/mind is strong - you can overcome it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. have you asked ur doc if there's any waterproof bandages you could use? u said that u're afraid that during the swim, u might get whack. U can stay behind the pack or the side. I know it's not gonna help on ur timing, but its better than DNF or being even injured even more. U trained hard enuff for it, completing it safely is currently priority.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh..sorry to hear abt the accident..... hope you'll get well soon!! Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG........pls take a gd rest and take care your scars carefully. You will be fine later!!!! YOu are still an iron gal!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness! make sure take a lot of rest and drink water. The stiching is ok. It will heal in time. Must be extra, extra caraeful next time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't worry about the scar since the plastic surgeon said it's nicely stitched. Looking at your list of the positive side of the incident, I'm sure you will make it for ironman. This incident will just make you stronger! Stay positive stay cool! The angels will always by your side :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for all your encouragement.
    Simon : "those that HAVE crashed and those that ARE GOING to crash" sounds a bit like the movie final destination
    kskh2001 : time to use my stretch cord to strengthen my triceps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. All accidents are unexpected by definition. Thank your Guardian Angels you didn't break any ribs or bones. It's a shame about the upcoming competitions but at least there are others (or next year) and you will recover from this anyway.
    Get well soon ya?

    ReplyDelete
  17. forget about the race and others now. take a good rest.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's looks scary. But don't worry it'll pass and the saying goes 'what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger'. And yeah you're right, thank God there're no broken bones. Rest well and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey... I'm really sorry to read about your accident. This is just a mere bump in your quest. You will come out of this stronger and wiser!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Mich, I saw your name on the IM Langkawi race results 14:47. Congratulations and very well done. You got over the accident, all the phobias you were wondering about ( bike, swim etc) and completed yr event.

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks lee, i still have phobia. I did not go on aerobar . 97% of the time , I'm on the drop bar . When i finish cycling, is as if i finish my ironman. I thank god i did not crash. What about you? How's your ironman?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Important thing is you confronted your fears and overcame them and finished too..

    I am Newbie, took up running in Sept08 but became interested in TRIs soon after. IM mebbe 2010 only, doing Oly TRIs this yr. My insterst in TRIs sparked after reading all the blogs whereyou guys(TTH, you, Simon etc) share yr experiences.

    ReplyDelete