Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Maiden Mt Bike Ride and New Balance 15k run

Photo Courtesy of Chim on my maiden mt bike ride
I guess i'm out of ideas on what title to put for my blog updates. The weekend began with a plan to cycle mountain bike with Alvin Chan. It is actually a plan to try out mt biking after my ironman and was a plan , a week after I had a bike accident. Alvin thinks mt biking is safer than road biking.. Errhh.. to me is the same but I bet I definitely improved on my bike handling skill.
We met up at 730 at malay tea house , frim. Alvin together with his friend Choy, help me to set up the bike. Chim my ex colleague tag along . He picked up mt biking not long ago.
FRIM mt biking trail is consider a beginners trail. I would said mt biking is quite different from road bike. It is more about strength and not so much on cadence to cycle faster. Few times I have to push the bike as a result of losing my momentum because I did not pedal hard enough to cycle over rocks and tree roots. Downhill was pretty scary at first but I soon got the hang of it and wouldn't mind doing mt biking again. The last part was a single track trail which I push the bike more than I cycle. It is a different experience and would love to do it again. Thanks to Alvin , Chim and Choy for your company on my maiden mt bike ride.  BTW just to let you guys know , i'm not so afraid of falling in mt biking than road bike. Maybe there isn't any traffic around. If i fall, is just between me and the jungle.
Chris, San, Julie,Bee, Leslie and ME
On sunday is new balance 15km run. This is my first 15km run which I skip last year because i'm dying to go hiking at mt yong belar after all the triathlon training for A Famosa., and also the first time I got a yellow color running vest collected by Siok Bee. Thanks Siok Bee.

Gane, Johnson, Siok Bee and me ran 5km in the morning as warm up and went to tapak A for the race . The guys start 15 minutes earlier than the gals. Since I get dehydrated easily, I will make sure I drink a cup of water before the race begin. Luckily the organizer provide drink station near the starting line. I was chit chatting with Jennifer, Lisar, Julie, Carmen, Leslie , Chris and other gals at the starting line before they start counting down, 8, 7 , 6 , 5, 4, 3, 2,1.... poOooon.... I take it easy for the first 4 km without realizing , I was actually running too fast and couldn't really maintain my pace . I was quite tired at the 12 km mark after going thru a hilly route for the run. Reaching the finishing line was the most boring road for this race as we need to run 2km around the lake garden . Err... I really can't wait to finish as i'm getting really tired.

After the race, my training buddies gather around jln imbi to eat breakfast and chit chat. By now I can feel the muscle ache on my calf, glute and my back. I took a nap and woke up at 3 p.m. and had thai food again for dinner at taman cheras.

3 comments:

  1. wow you are strong womena......

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! lets go MTB!! another kaki!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that you enjoyed your first MTB experience.

    ReplyDelete