Sunday, June 28, 2009

If only if


It’s a hard decision that I have to make at 29 -30 km mileage marker. Recent calf strain has made me very careful of what my body is telling me. I’m not going to take any risk to further injure that particular area, I decided to quit and walk back to dataran merdeka. On the other side, my heart is telling me to go on , it’s only another 12 km to go and you are maintaining a good pace but the brain is asking me to stop as triathlon is just around the corner.
If only if triathlon is not around the corner I would have continue the race as I will have enough time to recover if I injured again.

Now I’m looking forward to Singapore Marathon 2009 in December as I will have ample of time to slowly train for it.

I had a great thai food dinner with tang and kee at night. Nice chit chatting with them again. I think I want to go gunung tAhan pretty soon.



12 comments:

  1. Too bad you didn't complete - you looked strong when I cross you. Anyway, good luck in your next race

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better to not over strain the injury. There is more marathons to come. No point taking unnecessary risk and pay the price of not having a chance to run for the next 3-4 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. salute you on your decision. I am sure you had other upcoming races which are more important to you. Thanks again for pacing yesterday ... good luck in your next race!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael I have to commend you, you have shown tremendous running maturity in your decision. You were looking really down at the finish because but you did the right thing and I am seriously impressed. None runners will find it hard to understand but WE know that deciding to stop is harder than carrying on. There will be other marathons such as Singapore as you point out and Triathlons are 10 times the fun and a fraction of the pain of a marathon so making sure you are fit and healthy for PD was the right decision in my book. Stay positive, keep smiling and I'll see you in PD where I predict you'll have an awesome race. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Singapore Marathon 2009, I also planning to go. Come lets train slowly to make up the distance. :) I needed it :)
    But for now, i need to recover 1st. Hurting here & there :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a really good pace yesterday. Thanks to you and chin chin too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. In terms of stamina, i do feel strong and SCKLM is well organized. Thanks for saying hi and we finally met face to face

    ReplyDelete
  8. See you in pd too. Thanks for the comment. Looking back at it, i think i did the right thing too. That 30 km before hitting petaling street is a good training for me and didn't cause any serious pain to my leg today. i only have muscle soreness. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. You will come back stronger. Mark my word ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great decision Mich! Better to rest and recover for the next challenge than to be out of it for a longer term( look at Sharapova in tennis.... out for 9 months due to shoulder muscle tear).I had a calf injury 2mths plus back myself...Good luck at PD and Putrajaya 70.3??

    ReplyDelete
  11. i will come back stronger as i will have more time to train for Singapore marathon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yup going for PD and desaru. Putrajaya , i can't because it's a back to back race and my body will not recover on time.

    ReplyDelete